1 John 3:16


"By this we perceive the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren."

Sunday 11 July 2010

David

In some nations each year we have a Thanksgiving Service where people are made to give large amounts to show their gratefulness to God for that year. Thanksgiving is good, but straight out fundraising should be called what it is. Benson Idahosa preached the best thanksgiving message we heard, from David. David knew God had provided His Son:

I will take no bullock out of your house, nor he goats out of your folds. For every beast of the forest is Mine and the cattle upon a thousand hills. I know all the fowls of the mountains and the wild beasts of the field are Mine. If I were hungry I would not tell you. For the world is Mine and the fullness thereof. Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats.

Offer to God thanksgiving and pay your vows to the Most High. And call upon Me in the day of trouble: I will deliver you and you shall glorify Me. (Ps 50:9-15).

First, God said He did not need anything from us. This is how the pagans worshipped. He said that He is our helper. We need Him. He promised, “Call upon me in the day of trouble and I will deliver you.”. For a price? No. Then He said what He wants. He wants a changed life. This text thunders in our heart. It is the essence of the gospel.

Pay your vows means keep your integrity with God. This is not asking for a gift, but speaking of our life style. “Live in truth and righteousness.” At one point David too had this the wrong way around. He wanted to build a house for God. Nathan said fine. Then God sent Nathan back to David with another thundering prophecy:

When have I ever asked Israel to build Me a house? Do I need a house? Do I need you to care for Me? Is that why I called you? The heavens are not big enough to contain Me. How will you build a house I can use? Do you not you see yet that I am the Father and that I called you because I have a plan for you?

I took you from following the sheep and raised you up. Behold, I will build your house. I will raise up your seed (Christ) and He will build My house (the church). You just allow Me to do My will in you and let Me take care of My plans. (Paraphrased, see 2nd Samuel 7 and 1st Chronicles 17.)

What a difference between this and the way the pagans worshipped their useless gods, meeting all their needs. Look at ancestry worship. If you do not meet the need of the ancestors they curse you. You have to feed the idol each day. Do not bring this to God and worship Him that way. (These are not ancestors, but demons.) “The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not be in want…” (Psalm 23). Sounds like David got it!

No comments: