1 John 3:16


"By this we perceive the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren."

Tuesday 9 March 2010

Through the Law

We continue in Galatians, following Paul’s argument from the law.

For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ lives in me…(Gal 2:19-20).

What good news this brings! “I through the law am dead to the law.” What does this mean: “Through the law”? It means that the law of God has made provision (allowance) for me to die with Christ. The law of God said that if Christ would die in my stead, then I would die with Him. Christ’s death on my behalf was lawful.

The whole sacrifice system under the law was given as a provision for substitution for our sin. On this basis, Isaiah prophesied in chapter 53 about the substitution of Jesus Christ for our sin. If my Substitute died, I died with Him.

Paul’s skill of argument is brilliant in these passages. He picks apart the law of God revealing its treasure. When we study law in general, such as statute law or common law, we understand what Paul is doing here. He is arguing from the law, just as a barrister would in a court room. He is not arguing against God, but against the claims of sin and death.

No comments: